[Cuis-dev] Tests

Juan Vuletich juan at cuis.st
Tue Aug 16 06:16:02 PDT 2022

Hi Luciano,

On 8/15/2022 6:48 AM, Luciano Notarfrancesco via Cuis-dev wrote:
> I have subclasses of TestCase that hold more state besides the test
> selector. For example I have a subclass with a 'seed' instance
> variable that is set randomly in >>#initialize, and a 'random'
> instance variable that is set to 'Random seed: seed' in >>#setUp. This
> allows me to write tests that use randomness and are reproducible. But
> when debugging a test that failed, a new TestCase instance is created
> and the new TestCase is debugged instead, so the original seed is lost
> and my tests are not reproducible. I'm also experimenting with generic
> tests, for example I have a generic VectorSpaceTest with an instance
> variable 'scalars' for the coefficients field, so I can create a test
> suit with tests for vector spaces over the rationals, Z/pZ, rational
> functions, etc (vector spaces over different 'scalars'), but again the
> scalars are lost when I try to debug a test. I don't see any reason to
> create new instances of the test cases when debugging, see the
> attached change set and let me know if you agree with it.

I'd defer to Hernán and others who may have an opinion. I don't know if
reusing the test instance could bring problems. Besides, any test I
write is repeatable, setting Random seeds as needed. I guess you must
have your reasons to do otherwise...

> Also, when a test was taking too long I used to click the stop button
> in the test runner and a debugger would open, so I what it was doing.
> But now the test runner just stops without opening a debugger.

Maybe you were doing cmd-. to interrupt the process? I don't remember
[stop] opening a debugger. It is easy to do, though:

terminateRun
     running debugWithTitle: 'Interrupted Test'

If people agree, I can integrate this change.