[Cuis-dev] Tests

Luciano Notarfrancesco luchiano at gmail.com
Wed Aug 17 02:52:23 PDT 2022

Hi Hernan,

Idea 1) is how I started some years ago, but eventually I moved on because
it involves a lot of unnecessary work and it’s hard to maintain. Say you
have 100 tests for matrices and you want to run them for 10 different
rings, you’d have to write 1000 additional methods.

Idea 2) is what I’d like to do instead of making concrete subclasses of the
abstract tests. For that I’d have to write code that instantiates all test
cases and sets all the parameters (like ‘scalars’ in the matrix example)
and builds a TestSuite with all the tests. I guess I’ll try that. But I’d
have to make a new TestRunner if I want to use the UI, and I’m sure I’ll
find problems related to existing assumptions in the SUnit code (for
example the problem that I tried to address in these emails, the assumption
that a test ‘t’ can be copied by doing ‘t class selector: t selector’).

I still think (IMHO) that TestCases should be able to run more than once,
possibly changing the result, instead of creating new instances each time.
Also the UI could be updated after running a test to reflect a change (for
example to remove it from the failed or error lists when it passes, instead
of finding the original test in the list with isSameAs: as it is done in
TestResultWindow). I think lot of code could be improved and simplified. It
would be easier if SUnit was a package, I could make an alternative package.

Anyway, I’ll continue as I was doing, including those two methods in my
tests package. And if someday we have SUnit in a package I’ll refactor it
and simplify it.

Cheers,
Luciano