[Cuis-dev] Updated unicode input

Luciano Notarfrancesco luchiano at gmail.com
Thu Dec 1 05:24:10 PST 2022

Here's an improvement of the commands to input untypeable characters.

I simplified the method in SmalltalkEditor>>normalCharacter: and changed
the table of named characters in UnicodeCodePoint class from an array to a
dictionary. I added some missing characters, including subscripts and
superscripts for digits (for example type \^2 or \_2 followed by space or
any non-letter).

The list of commands is not complete yet, but it's easy to add more. I'm
trying to use the same names that are used in LaTeX. Leandro Caniglia is
doing the same in Bee Smalltalk and we plan to unify the list of commands
soon. Updating the list of commands only requires changing the method
UnicodeCodePoint>>initializeNamedCharactersMap.

It would be nice to support diacritical marks too, but I didn't implement
it yet because it's a bit more complicated and requires dealing with
normalization.

The methods for #arrowUp, #arrowDown, #arrowLeft and #arrowRight in
Character and UnicodeCodePoint seem unnecessary. I didn't remove them just
in case someone is using them, but probably we should remove them.