[Cuis-dev] PetitParser does not install in latest updated Cuis

Juan Vuletich juan at cuis.st
Thu Dec 8 05:21:28 PST 2022

On 12/8/2022 5:11 AM, Hilaire Fernandes via Cuis-dev wrote:

> Hi,
>
> It raises again an emergency evaluator (aka EE).
>
> By the way, Juan, it is another show case of the degradation of the
> situation regarding the Debugger: the Debugger fails to open, then an
> EE pop up. Hope this helps
>
> Thanks
>
> Hilaire
>
> --
> GNU Dr. Geo
> http://drgeo.eu
> http://blog.drgeo.eu

Hi Hilaire,

Thanks for reporting. The problem in PetitParser is that I need to
update it to the renames I did yesterday: Utf8String -> UnicodeString
and Utf8Symbol -> UnicodeSymbol. These were done because they are better
and more consistent with, for example, VAST.

What worries me is the EE.

With all the repos updated, I start a fresh Cuis image, install all
updates and do `Feature require: 'PetitParser'`. What I get is NOT an
EE, but a reasonable debugger that opens when trying to evaluate
`DoIt

 Utf8String
         methodsFor: '*petitparser-core-converting'
         stamp: 'jmv 10/31/2022 17:46:45'.`

This is the expected failure, as Utf8String was renamed as UnicodeString.

But you getting an EE instead is a more serious problem.

Can you please try setting up Cuis with the Parsers repo on a new, fresh
folder, and try there? If you get the debugger here, then I'd need you
to either spot the difference that makes the EE appear, or help me set
up the situation where the EE appears.

In order to be able to fix a bug, I need to understand it. Reproducing
it on my system is the most effective way for me to understand
non-obvious bugs. So, please, help me here. Help me reproduce the EE on
my system.