[Cuis-dev] Siren progress and questions

Juan Vuletich juan at cuis.st
Mon Dec 12 06:27:05 PST 2022

On 12/2/2022 3:34 AM, Stephen Travis Pope via Cuis-dev wrote:

> Another quick update and a question

> 2. My latest question is about the Transcript; is there a reason it
> doesn’t scroll and doesn’t allow selection?  I keep having to spawn it
> as a Workspace to see the whole contents.
>
> stp

I forgot to answer this question before. Apologies.

The reason is that in Cuis the Transcript can update immediately while
things are running. For instance, when running

1 to: 10 do: [ :i | i print. (Delay forSeconds: 1) wait ]

you don't need to wait for execution to finish.

Additionally, updates sent from different processes are displayed in the
order (and moment) they are sent. This is useful for debugging
synchronization issues.

Finally, Transcript doesn't use Morphic, or the text display machinery
in Morphic used by the rest of the tools. Transcript can even be used
without a running UI at all. This is very useful when working on the UI
process.

All this means Transcript is dog simple. It can't edit text, or scroll
or select it. As an alternative, I added the Workspace view, that
behaves as Transcript does in other Smalltalks.

HTH.