[Cuis-dev] Using OSProcess package

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sun Dec 18 15:47:54 PST 2022

On Sun, Dec 18, 2022 at 11:07:47AM -0500, David T. Lewis via Cuis-dev wrote:
> Hi Juan,
>
> On Wed, Dec 14, 2022 at 11:42:34AM -0300, Juan Vuletich wrote:
> > Hi Dave,
> >
> > On 12/12/2022 12:57 PM, David T. Lewis via Cuis-dev wrote:
> > >Thanks Juan. If anyone sees problems with Unicode strings in OSProcess,
> > >please mention it here on the list. My understanding of Unicode is
> > >not good, so if there are problems with string handling I may not
> > >see or understand the issues without some help.
> > >

> > Well, I can annoy you a bit with Unicode stuff :) !
> >
> > All what follows I tried on my Intel Mac, using OpenSmalltalk Cog from
> > 2022-11-21. I'm using a fresh, updated Cuis with the current OSProcess.
> > I believe results would be similar on Linux and Windows, and I can try
> > if you find it useful. I also believe result would be similar in Squeak.
> >

> Thank you for taking the time to explain this. I am looking at
> both the VM plugin and the OSProcess package, and I think it will
> be possible to handle UTF8 properly without VM changes. More to
> follow later, I just want to let you know I'm not ignoring this :-)

I just pushed another update to OSProcess for Cuis. I think that it
will address most concerns related to calling VM plugin primitives
with UTF8 strings.

The OSProcessPlugin was written with the expection that string
parameters would be simple byte strings, but they work equally
well if byte arrays are used instead of the byte strings. Thus
when I changed the primitive calls in the image (OSProcess) to
convert strings to ByteArray, we now get the expected results.

I expect that other things will need to be addressed in OSProcess
for Unicode, but this should at least be a good start.

Dave