[Cuis-dev] Morphic glitches out/hangs when adding faulty code to drawOn method on morphs that step

Juan Vuletich juan at cuis.st
Tue Dec 20 05:56:33 PST 2022

Hi Alan,

On 12/20/2022 3:27 AM, Alan Dao via Cuis-dev wrote:
> Hope I'm not annoying by bringing this up,

Never hesitate in asking for help or reporting some problem! Open
communications is fundamental for us. Each of us will use Cuis in
different ways and will find different issues or areas to improve. By
getting all those experiences together we can build something that is
idiosyncratic and useful for more people!

> but I pulled the latest changes, 5601 and 5602, and unfortunately it
> breaks my startup script for setting up my workspace/browser windows.
> More specifically, my windows aren't appearing and the background
> doesn't switch to the dark theme. When I comment out "ChangeSet
> installNewUpdates.", my workspace/browser windows appear as intended.
>
> Could you take a look and see what's going wrong? I've attached my
> startup script below. You can try commenting out "ChangeSet
> installNewUpdates." to see the impact of the latest changes. I've been
> running my startup script through this terminal command:
>
> /Applications/Squeak.app/Contents/MacOS/Squeak
> /Users/alandao/Cuis/Cuis-Smalltalk-Dev/Cuis6.0-5542.image -s
> /Users/alandao/Scripts/init_workbench.st <http://init_workbench.st>

Thanks for providing all the pieces and details. In this particular
case, most likely the problem is that in the last changesets I restarted
the Morphic process, and this means that the latter part of your script
will not be run.

Please try this:
- Start Cuis
- Install new updates
- Save and exit

Now try again. I believe it will work as usual (or please report back).

This issue will get solved for you when I save new, updated Cuis images,
that already include all the change sets. I can do this later today.

> Alternatively, I'd be ok with re-writing my script if the way I did it
> was hacked up together, as long as there's a way to migrate this
> script over. Any help would be appreciated!
>
> Also, thanks for the suggestions to the step method. The package
> itself is still in extremely early development, but once I get the UI
> to where I want it, I'll look into optimizations.
>
> Best,
> Alan

I think you'd not need to modify your script, if my intuition is correct
here. Please tell how it goes.

Thanks!