[Cuis-dev] Remote Debugging

Nicola Mingotti nmingotti at gmail.com
Sun Feb 27 02:37:37 PST 2022

Hi guys, excuse my reply delay i am overloaded and I have
difficulties even keeping up with emails.

Gerald, yes, can develop & debug Cuis remotely. I do it all the time.
Almost all my software run in remote machines.

For example, last week I have implemented a snippet that if the
debugger opens in a specific service I will receive a mail (Cuis send the
mail).
This is absolutely great, first time I have a service that warns me
when it is fallen, usually users do or automatic service checkers.

So, the VNC, package, It is on my wishlist, but at the moment it is not
working.
I added a bit more info to the github page:
https://github.com/nmingotti/Cuis-Smalltalk-VNC/blob/main/README.md

There are 2 ways to do this.

Does you remote machine have real screen ? Does Cuis run on the main screen
?
If so it is trivial in Windows with VNC, in Linux not trivial at all with
VNC, I use a combination
of x11vnc, xinetd and lightdm, it is the only mix that works, i have
tried many variants, all fail, I lost a lot of time to have this working
reliably.
=> If you want to do some experiments fast use AnyDesk, NoMachine or
similar products.
   For uniformity I use VNC to control all machienes but it costed me
dozens if
   not about a hundred experiments along 1.5 years to find the thing that
works reliably (no joke).

If your Cuis runs in Linux headless it is a lot easier, run a X session
on the vncserver with window manager etc. then run your Cuis there.
This is standard procedure, easy to have it working well.

If you have difficulties i can send you may configuration files, but
this i will do only in private communication;)

bye
Nicola