[Cuis-dev] Event systems question

Douglas Brebner kirtai+st at gmail.com
Sun Feb 27 18:49:46 PST 2022

On 26/02/2022 17:08, Mariano Montone via Cuis-dev wrote:
> El 26/2/22 a las 08:28, Douglas Brebner via Cuis-dev escribió:
>> I was recently reminded that Cuis meant to replace the #changed:update: event system with #when:send:to and I was wondering why Vassily Bykov's Announcements weren't used instead.
>>
>> Does anyone know the reasoning?
>
> Hi Douglas,
>
> I suppose you are aware of the AXAnnouncements package available from the Package Downloader tool in Cuis. I wanted to mention it just in case. That's a port I've made and I'm using for some of my projects. Now I'm considering adding an Erudite book to document it, if I can find the original Announcements docs.

Yes, I've seen it. It's part of what made me question this :)

These pages seem to have copies of the original Announcements blog posts. I haven't been able to find much else. I hope they're useful for your book.

This one is the original announcement (heh):

https://www.iam.unibe.ch/scg/svn_repos/SqueakByExample/PharoSpanish/Exceptions/RawMaterial/Introducing%20Announcements.html

This one has eleven blog posts in reverse chronological order:

https://www.iam.unibe.ch/scg/svn_repos/SqueakByExample/PharoSpanish/Exceptions/RawMaterial/Making%20Smalltalk%20Easier.html

> As for why it is not used in Cuis as main event system, all I can do is speculate. Announcements can be slightly more "heavyweight" than the current event system (classes for events), and I think you require an #announcer method, unless you implement the announcements machinery right into Object (I guess that would be the idea).

Yeah, I was just curious since they seemed more "objecty" to me than #when:send:to:

Some arguments that way are in the first link.