[Cuis-dev] Emacs & Smalltalk

Nicola Mingotti nmingotti at gmail.com
Sat Jan 8 13:24:33 PST 2022

Hi Hernan,

I have red your question, i will tell you my opinion without reading
others answer not
be influenced ;)

Emacs is a great editor, but it has nothing to do with our wunderbar
interactive environment.

Emacs is by nature textual, the Smalltalk (classic) GUI are by nature
graphical.

Emacs is written in C & EmacsLisp. If you want to change it you need to
use those languages.
So, You don't do it in CommonLisp, for example, nor in Python. In Pharo
lingo, if i get it
correctly, CommonLisp + Emacs can't be considered a "moldable environment".

If i remember well a few weeks ago somebody posted in the Lisp subreddit
an environment
inspired to Smalltalk for CommonLisp + Emacs. It may be one of our
mailing list, i don't remember 100%.
It was cool. But still, a ghost of our tools.

If you want to try some Smalltalk in Emacs start with Gnu Smalltalk, i
tried a tiny bit,
but i stopped because the Debian default package comes with an horrible
bug: It can't parse
a trivial float like 12.34. So, I stopped my investigation, if there is
such bug to me the message is "nobody
is using it".

I tried also LittleSmalltalk, for the text only approach, but
unfortunately the current versions do not correspond anymore to what is
written in the old (but very nice) book. So, dah, again, if you want do
do some test
you need to start from C and debug stuff, this is not nice, requires a
lot more time that i can.

So, in short, I have not still found a minimum-reliable-version of text
only Smalltalk, therefore
trying Emacs + Smalltalk IMO it makes not sense, since Emacs is text only.

The GnuSmalltalk could be interesting, but unfortunately it seems it is
a bit abandoned.

Bye
Nicola