[Cuis-dev] Freezing UI - can't interrupt via Alt+.

Juan Vuletich JuanVuletich at zoho.com
Fri Jul 1 05:45:53 PDT 2022

On 7/1/2022 8:17 AM, Jaromir Matas via Cuis-dev wrote:

> Hi Juan, all,
>
> I wonder why this can’t be interrupted by Alt+.
>
> Semaphore new wait
>
> The system returns a message “Can not interrupt background process”
> and the image has to be closed.
>
> The same happens in this case:
>
> s := Semaphore new.
>
> [1/0. s signal] fork.
>
> s wait
>
> It not only freezes the UI but is not even recoverable…
>
> Thanks,
>
> jaromir
>
> --
>
> *Jaromír Matas*
>
> mail at jaromir.net

Hi Jaromir,

The problem is in #handleUserInterrupt, in particular in
#processTakingMostCPU. #handleUserInterrupt runs on a high priority
process, so the first thing it needs to figure out is which process to
interrupt. I wrote that code believing that alt+. would need to
interrupt busy code, and it works in that case. It doesn't work if the
UI process is waiting and never resumed, as it is not "busy".

We need to do better here. I won't be able to work on this for the next
few days, but would be very happy if any of you folks suggest / code a
solution.

https://independent.academia.edu/JuanVuletich
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Juan-Vuletich
https://patents.justia.com/inventor/juan-manuel-vuletich