[Cuis-dev] FW: Freezing UI - can't interrupt via Alt+.

Juan Vuletich JuanVuletich at zoho.com
Mon Jul 4 08:11:06 PDT 2022

On 7/3/2022 5:48 AM, Jaromir Matas via Cuis-dev wrote:

> Hi Juan,
>
> I hate to bring bad news but I’m afraid there’s still one outstanding
> issue ;)
>
> s := Semaphore new.
>
> [1/0. s signal] fork.
>
> s wait.
>
> Transcript cr; show: 'done'
>
> If you terminate a blocked UI it means it won’t be able to continue
> when signaled and won’t print ‘done’ in this case.
>
> This feels like a natural requirement for the blocked UI to continue
> because if it was just a regular non-UI process we would want it
> continue too, I guess; like this:
>
> [s := Semaphore new.
>
> [1/0. s signal] fork.
>
> s wait.
>
> Transcript cr; show: 'done'] fork
>
> I look forward to hearing from you again, many thanks!
>
> PS: I tried resuming instead of terminating the oldUIProcess but that
> of course ends up infamously with two UI processes ;)
>
> Best,
>
> Jaromir
>
> --
>
> *Jaromír Matas*
>
> mail at jaromir.net

We could try resuming the old process. That would require detecting that
a new UI process was created and terminate it. I don't like this,
because it may be the new process the one that is doing relevant stuff
now. Besides, this could lead to state corruption, depending (for
example) on the state of method temp variables in both processes.

I think it is reasonable to state that the UI process, as the other
system created processes are a bit special: The system needs to
guarantee that there is always an UI process ready to run. This might
mean the system messing with these processes occasionally. People
wanting to have absolute control over processes should fork their own.

https://independent.academia.edu/JuanVuletich
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Juan-Vuletich
https://patents.justia.com/inventor/juan-manuel-vuletich
https://twitter.com/JuanVuletich