[Cuis-dev] FW: FW: FW: Freezing UI - can't interrupt via Alt+.

Juan Vuletich JuanVuletich at zoho.com
Mon Jul 18 12:43:43 PDT 2022

Hi Jaromir,

On 7/15/2022 3:24 PM, Jaromir Matas via Cuis-dev wrote:

> Hi Juan,
>
> Many thanks for sharing your opinion. I agree a UI busy with a long
> computation is a bit different situation (and complexity level most
> likely) than an idle UI being blocked. I'm thrilled you've made it
> possible for a system to keep interacting even if its UI is blocked on
> a semaphore (or a condition variable in a general case). I think this
> is a very nice improvement from a user perspective; I remember it
> baffled me some computations worked differently when run forked
> compared to "straight" (without fork). Then someone explained "yeah,
> that's because it is run in the UI" and it really didn't help me
> understand why the difference :) Now I know, of course, but for a
> beginner (or at least for me) the concept of running a Workspace
> example "in the UI" is far from trivial.

:) You already contributed lots of stuff that are not "beginner level"
at all!

> --
>
> > The base image doesn't even include networking code. It will only
> access local files.
>
> Thank you :)
>
> --
>
> > Letting the old Morphic process end by itself may mean that there is
> more than one process trying to draw the world. And if some higher
> priority process wakes up, maybe the other morphic process is
> scheduled next. Just pushed a couple of tweaks to reduce the risk as
> much as possible.
>
> That helped indeed :) A little new glitch appeared though:
>
> When you do
>
> self halt
>
> the world redraw's incomplete or something - see attached snip.
> Clicking World Menu -> Restore Display fixes it.

Fixed. Now at GitHub.

> --
>
> A small suggestion: the old UI process still identifies as 'Morhic UI'
> in the Process Browser; would it make sense to rename the old UI to
> e.g. 'Inactive Morphic UI' ?

Fixed too.

> --
>
> Then there's something I believe has nothing to do with the latest UI
> modifications but I only noticed it recently by accident:
>
> If you open an image and then open the same image again (to be
> precise: in my case I doubleclick on squeak.exe, the image opens, then
> I doubleclick squeak.exe again) then the second OS process starts
> running in the background taking 100% of one CPU's core capacity (and
> nothing opens) and it needs to be killed from the OS (Windows process
> explorer etc)
>
> It happens in my image Cuis6.0.5171 with the latest VM 3184 but
> doesn't in Cuis6.0.5069 with VM 3184 (I've just checked - it's
> regardless of the VM)

Truth is that I don't know how to do this in a reliable and portable
way. Has any other dialect in the Squeak family already fixed this?

https://independent.academia.edu/JuanVuletich
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Juan-Vuletich
https://patents.justia.com/inventor/juan-manuel-vuletich
https://twitter.com/JuanVuletich