[Cuis-dev] Decentralized menu definition

Juan Vuletich juan at jvuletich.org
Tue Jul 19 07:15:36 PDT 2022

On 7/15/2022 12:53 PM, Hilaire Fernandes via Cuis-dev wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Here is a first iteration for decentralized menu definitions .
>
> Check the comment of the MenuBuilder class and its example to execute.
>
> Then check its example class methods to read how write definition of
> the menu.
>
> In theory, this should let third party package smoothly adds entries
> in Cuis menus.
>
> There is place for improvements and to make menu definition more
> compact, but its already gives a general idea.
>
> Thanks
>
> Hilaire
>
> --
> GNU Dr. Geo
> http://drgeo.eu
> http://blog.drgeo.eu

Hi Hilaire,

This is interesting. But if we are to change how menus are built in the
base image, adding a mechanism that packages will depend on, I'd like it
to also address these:
- Keyboard shortcuts. Today, these are even in a worse shape than menus.
There's no way to tweak them, and we already ran out of them.
- Context. Different gui controls in different apps will need different
menus / shortcuts. Even depending on state or mode.
- Scope of context. Some menus / shortcuts may apply to a leaf morph,
like a text editor or list. Others apply to a window or other composite
morph. Others are global.

Actually, we are talking about user commands and how to issue them. So,
some questions are:
- which user commands are available on a certain morph in a certain moment
- how do we group them in menus
- how (if) we assign them a keyboard shortcut

Everyone, please chime in and share your ideas or possible approaches.
It would be great if we can find a general solution.

Thanks!

https://independent.academia.edu/JuanVuletich
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Juan-Vuletich
https://patents.justia.com/inventor/juan-manuel-vuletich