[Cuis-dev] Decentralized menu definition

Mariano Montone marianomontone at gmail.com
Tue Jul 19 16:37:43 PDT 2022

El 19/7/22 a las 11:36, Mariano Montone escribió:
> Hi,
>
> El 19/7/22 a las 11:15, Juan Vuletich via Cuis-dev escribió:
>> Actually, we are talking about user commands and how to issue them.
>
> This. I'm not here to come up with a solution this time, but I wanted
> to say that a generalized commands framework is very attractive to me.
>
> The idea being, instead of manually and also arbitrarily creating
> menus, you could ask an object, "what actions are available in this
> context?", and group the actions to build a menu, or run the command
> from a key combination, or some other way.
>
> That's the approach Naked Objects framework uses, and Common Lisp
> Interface Manager. You have the command abstraction, and then you are
> free to build user interface interactions automatically based on them.
>
> If this should go into base image or not, I don't know. But the idea
> is very interesting to me; I've done some experiments, and I'm even
> using the idea for real in a web project I'm developing, meant for
> production.

To see what I'm describing in action, you can checkout this video:
https://vimeo.com/719355883

They are using it in the context of business apps, but I don't see why
you cannot do it with any kind of objects (in fact, mine is a multimedia
application that uses a commands abstraction for interaction).