[Cuis-dev] Decentralized menu definition

Hilaire Fernandes hfern at free.fr
Thu Jul 28 23:07:58 PDT 2022

Hi Hernan

Le 25/07/2022 à 13:15, Hernan Wilkinson via Cuis-dev a écrit :
> Hi all!!
>  the proposal is really interesting but I think we already have
> support for what you are looking for, Hilaire, also with some of the
> features Gerald mentions.

To be honest, what I am looking for is not in the code proposal I wrote.
I mentioned it a few weeks ago: it is to have a completely different
World menu. It should not be that difficult to do I guess.

>  The code that you sent, Hilaire, does not support grouping menu
> items, something that is used a lot in all Cuis menus.

Of course it was an incomplete experiment for discussion. Then the
discussion heated with more general concept of command and the keyboard
shortcut complication in Cuis.

>  Also note that instead of using pragmas, DynamicMenuBuilder uses a
> selector making it faster and without the need of using a new
> syntactic element.

I will say that Pragma is more an underused feature of Cuis (annotating
method) than a new syntactic element.

In the experiment I wrote, the major benefit of the Pragma is to let you
know in two clics where are the definitions of a given menu hierarchy.
It is then easy to understand how is structured a menu hierarchy. This
IS really the benefit otherwise it has no added value compare to a selector.

A few weeks ago, when I looked at how to modify the World menu, I found
difficult to understand the world menu hierarchy : you have to follow
the top method (the one used by the menu builder), then within search
for the method symbol invoking the auxiliary menu (there was no submenu
but it is not relevant). If DynamicBuilder could be improved in that
precise point, it could be quite an useful feature.

In the other hand the limitation of the pragma is  the methods are class
side.

Anyway we are just fine with the existing system, it had prove its
robustness and usefulness and I close the discussion.

>  I added support for submenu definition in the attached .cs. It is
> compatible with what we already have and it has an example.

Works like a charm

Thanks

Hilaire