[Cuis-dev] Decentralized menu definition

Hilaire Fernandes hfern at free.fr
Sat Jul 30 03:34:51 PDT 2022

Le 29/07/2022 à 19:03, Hernan Wilkinson a écrit :

>     I mentioned it a few weeks ago: it is to have a completely different
>     World menu. It should not be that difficult to do I guess.
>

> What do you mean by a different World Menu? Different options? a
> different way to create it? or something else?

To have different menu entries.

For example, in DrGeo, the World menu will only show me options to open
a new sketch, to load on from disk, to edit a Smalltalk Sketch, to
browse Smalltalk sketch (with my own tools), access the DrGeo
preferences browser, etc.

>     >  Also note that instead of using pragmas, DynamicMenuBuilder uses a
>     > selector making it faster and without the need of using a new
>     > syntactic element.
>
>     I will say that Pragma is more an underused feature of Cuis
>     (annotating
>     method) than a new syntactic element.
>
>     In the experiment I wrote, the major benefit of the Pragma is to
>     let you
>     know in two clics where are the definitions of a given menu
>     hierarchy.
>     It is then easy to understand how is structured a menu hierarchy.
>     This
>     IS really the benefit otherwise it has no added value compare to a
>     selector.
>

> Why couldn't you get the same with the selector? Maybe I'm missing
> something...

With the pragma you will make a search for <worldMenu> to get all the
methods defining the menu entries of the World menu (including sub menus).

As for now, with the World menu, you go to WorldMenu>openMenu, then
search for method #worldMenuOptions, you only get the top level menu
entries. To learn about the first submenu, you then browse
#openOpenMenu, then the #openMenu method, to discover you have to search
for #worldMenuForOpenGroup method. It will open a lot of browser
windows. But once you know where you want to look at, I guess it is ok.

>     A few weeks ago, when I looked at how to modify the World menu, I
>     found
>     difficult to understand the world menu hierarchy : you have to follow
>     the top method (the one used by the menu builder), then within search
>     for the method symbol invoking the auxiliary menu (there was no
>     submenu
>     but it is not relevant). If DynamicBuilder could be improved in that
>     precise point, it could be quite an useful feature.
>

> In the last cs that Juan pushed I improved it a little, let me know if
> you can follow it now.
> I'll make a few changes more to use submenus

I will look.

>     In the other hand the limitation of the pragma is  the methods are
>     class
>     side.
>
>     Anyway we are just fine with the existing system, it had prove its
>     robustness and usefulness and I close the discussion.
>

> The disussion was really good! the problem is not being together to
> talk about this things in person, for sure we could get better results

May be some time in future we could have community distant hacker sessions.

Thanks

Hilaire