[Cuis-dev] [Preference] Category as domain name

Hilaire Fernandes hilaire at drgeo.eu
Sat Jun 4 02:17:20 PDT 2022

Hi

Below redesign proposals to the PreferenceNG class and its protocol:

1) In the PreferenceNG class, ThePreferences class variable is a
dictionary of dictionaries where its keys are the category name.

2) A preference is instantiated/updated identically with the messages
#name:description:category:type:value: and#name:category:value:

3) To access a preference instantiated in the base image, nothing change:

     PreferenceNG at: #color

Internally PreferenceNG searches for the preference only in the base
image preference categories: #system, #programming, #gui, #font.

To access a preference in non base image category I propose the message
#at:in: #at:in:put, #instanceAt:in:

PreferenceNG at: #textSize in: #zork

    PreferenceNG at: #textSize in: #zork put: 12

     (the instantiate method can still be used to edit a preference value:
   PreferenceNG name: #textSize category: #zork value: 12)

Then I propose shortcuts compatible with the existing protocol:

Preference at: #zork:textSize

Preference at: #zork:textSize put: 16

     Preference instanceAt: #zork:textSize

I will have to write a method to move the preferences in their own
category dictionaries.

Comments?

Thanks

Hilaire