[Cuis-dev] Unreadable Exception messages

Juan Vuletich JuanVuletich at zoho.com
Thu Jun 16 12:53:50 PDT 2022

On 6/16/2022 4:05 PM, Mariano Montone via Cuis-dev wrote:
> El 16/6/22 a las 15:41, ken.dickey at whidbey.com escribió:
>> On 2022-06-16 08:30, Mariano Montone via Cuis-dev wrote:
>>
>>> some times when an Exception is raised, its message is unreadable.
>>
>> By definition, we can't plan for all exceptional conditions.
>>
>> Compressing overly long text is what the system should do.
> Yes, or find a way of showing the complete message somehow. Hide/show
> button, etc.
>>
>> Typically, I just look a frame down to see at the string argumen to
>> #signal: or whatever.
>
> Yes, but I cannot find it. I must be a bit blind.
>>
>>> So I would like to be able to inspect the currently raised exception
>>> from the debugger there.
>>>
>>> Is it possible?
>>
>> Better yet, it should be easy.  ;^)
>
> Yep. I mean, the debugger is already showing me the shortened message
> of the object I want to be able to inspect.
>

>         Mariano

In the debugger screen you pasted, I see the code for the creation of a
SyntaxErrorNotification. But you seem to be past that part. That's why I
asked about reproducing your situation. Usually (I believe), in the top
frame in the debugger, you have the code for the creation of the
unhandled exception (for example if you evaluate `self error: 'kk'`).
Then, you have all the information for the exception right there.

As a workaround, in any case you get a window with a too long title to
be displayed, you can do the following trick: Click on the 4th button at
the top left of the window title, in the menu select 'change title...'.
In the prompter, cmd-a cmd-c (select all, copy). Then you can paste in a
workspace, and see it in full.

HTH,

https://independent.academia.edu/JuanVuletich
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Juan-Vuletich