[Cuis-dev] Reload button in package list tool

Juan Vuletich JuanVuletich at zoho.com
Sat Mar 12 06:27:35 PST 2022

On 3/10/2022 7:54 PM, Mariano Montone via Cuis-dev wrote:

>>> Where is such a tool? It lets you compare/diff a package on disk with
>>> what's loaded in the image?
>>
>> Yes.  World Menu -> Open -> File List
>>
>> Then select a *.pck.st file.
>>
>> You should see a "packageBrwsr" button on the upper right.  A couple
>> of buttons left of the "install package" buttom.
>>
>> I find it really useful!
>
> Oh! I was not aware of that tool for some reason. I'll consider it
> from now on.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mariano

What I tend to use more is the [pck contents] button for package files,
and the [contents] button for change sets.

The ChangeListWindow you get can easily filter out unchanged methods,
select equivalent but not equal (because of formatting or comments). The
you can review changed methods, and they are diffed right there. You can
even diff words/lines, and do a pretty print before diffing, to ignore
formatting differences.

This is what I use to review code. I always review code before
committing it. Especially critical code for the base image.

I also use it to rework and rethink something I'm doing. Review each
method, and load those that still look ok. Then I browse current
versions of the remaining ones and compare with the file. And usually
try something different, or change the design a bit. Complex changes
usually take several days and I never save the image, so each day I
start by reviewing what I did the day before. This already makes many
bugs evident, and it also gets me "in the mood" to go forward.

This is a matter of personal preference, but this workflow works best
for me.

https://independent.academia.edu/JuanVuletich
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Juan-Vuletich
https://patents.justia.com/inventor/juan-manuel-vuletich