[Cuis-dev] Parser gets confused when using $| in binary selectors

Hernan Wilkinson hernan.wilkinson at 10pines.com
Fri May 13 13:14:21 PDT 2022

The only concern I have with this is that I do not think that using
preferences for the syntax of the language is a good idea... it will make
incompatible cuis code depending on how the preference is set... I do not
have a better solution (only the one I suggested earlier :-) ), so I do not
have a strong opinion against it, I do not like the idea but I can live
with it and see how it goes.

Hernan.

On Fri, May 13, 2022 at 4:41 PM Juan Vuletich via Cuis-dev <
cuis-dev at lists.cuis.st> wrote:

> Better names for the preferences could be #disabled, #st80, #ansiSmalltalk.
>
> Default could be #st80 (meaning `1 at -2` answers the same Point as `1 @
> (-2)`.
>
> If nobody disagrees strongly, I guess I'll push it like that, using
> Hilaire's new PreferenceNG.
>
> Thanks!
>
> On 5/13/2022 3:32 PM, Juan Vuletich via Cuis-dev wrote:
>
> On 5/13/2022 1:41 PM, Nicolas Cellier via Cuis-dev wrote:
>
> So we did not have to introduce the @- selectors & co...
>

> Given the path followed by Squeak and Pharo, and what ANSI Smalltalk says,
> and the preferences several of you just said, the attach is my proposal.
>
> It adds a new preference #atMinusDigitMeaning. Possible values are:
> #disabled, #negativeNumberParameter and #atMinusSelector. It doesn't only
> control '@-', but any binary selector ending in $-, with size > 1.
>
> The question is what to use as a default value.
> ST-80 and Squeak go with #negativeNumberParameter.
> ANSI Smalltalk and Pharo do #atMinusSelector.
> #disabled is also a reasonable alternative, helping programmers understand
> a smell in their code.
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
> Juan Vuletichwww.cuis-smalltalk.orghttps://github.com/Cuis-Smalltalk/Cuis-Smalltalk-Devhttps://github.com/jvuletichhttps://www.linkedin.com/in/juan-vuletich-75611b3https://independent.academia.edu/JuanVuletichhttps://www.researchgate.net/profile/Juan-Vuletichhttps://patents.justia.com/inventor/juan-manuel-vuletichhttps://twitter.com/JuanVuletich
>

> --
> Juan Vuletichwww.cuis-smalltalk.orghttps://github.com/Cuis-Smalltalk/Cuis-Smalltalk-Devhttps://github.com/jvuletichhttps://www.linkedin.com/in/juan-vuletich-75611b3https://independent.academia.edu/JuanVuletichhttps://www.researchgate.net/profile/Juan-Vuletichhttps://patents.justia.com/inventor/juan-manuel-vuletichhttps://twitter.com/JuanVuletich

<https://10pines.com/>Hernán WilkinsonSoftware Developer & Coach

Alem 896, Floor 6, Buenos Aires, Argentina

+54 11 6091 3125

@HernanWilkinson