[Cuis-dev] Load All TrueType Fonts fails in Cuis6.0-5069; porting from VW to Cuis

Shaping shaping at uurda.org
Sun May 15 11:00:58 PDT 2022

Hi all.

I cloned the latest Cuis repo at https://github.com/Cuis-Smalltalk/Cuis-Smalltalk-Dev.git.

Then I cloned the 21 package repos listed in clonePackageRepos.sh.

They are:

git clone https://github.com/Cuis-Smalltalk/SVG.git

git clone https://github.com/Cuis-Smalltalk/EnhancedText.git

git clone https://github.com/Cuis-Smalltalk/Erudite.git

git clone https://github.com/Cuis-Smalltalk/StyledTextEditor.git

git clone https://github.com/Cuis-Smalltalk/Measures.git

git clone https://github.com/Cuis-Smalltalk/Calendars.git

git clone https://github.com/Cuis-Smalltalk/CodeExamples.git

git clone https://github.com/Cuis-Smalltalk/Games.git

git clone https://github.com/Cuis-Smalltalk/Morphic.git

git clone https://github.com/Cuis-Smalltalk/Cairo.git

git clone https://github.com/Cuis-Smalltalk/Cuis-Smalltalk-UI.git

git clone https://github.com/Cuis-Smalltalk/OSProcess.git

git clone https://github.com/Cuis-Smalltalk/Numerics.git

git clone https://github.com/Cuis-Smalltalk/GeographicInformationSystems.git

git clone https://github.com/Cuis-Smalltalk/Parsers.git

git clone https://github.com/Cuis-Smalltalk/Machine-Learning.git

git clone https://github.com/Cuis-Smalltalk/AMQP.git

git clone https://github.com/Cuis-Smalltalk/firmata.git

git clone https://github.com/Cuis-Smalltalk/VMMaker.git

git clone https://github.com/Cuis-Smalltalk/Learning-Cuis.git

git clone https://github.com/Cuis-Smalltalk/TheCuisBook.git

Then I cloned and unzipped the Windows VM at https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm/releases/download/202112201228/squeak.cog.spur_win64x64.zip

I made a shortcut icon to the engine and image, and double-clicked it.

Cuis started, and I saved it down to another name (you can’t specify a file path when you do this, only a leaf name; you then must copy the three new files to whatever location you want).

One of the first things I did was: Load All TrueType Fonts.  This created a walkback complaining about how MorphicCanvas already has ivar engine defined.  Why would this be a problem?  We could just redefine the class, and continue.

I then started over with a fresh image, and opened Package Installer.  I don’t know which package(s) to load to fix the morphic TTfont problem.  So I chose the first of the three VectorGraphics packages.  This caused the same walkback.  I’ll continue to work thru the packages.

Is there a smoother way to get something beyond a plain-vanilla Cuis set up?

I’m trying to port all my work from VisualWorks to Pharo or Cuis, which looks cleaner and easier to work with in some ways.  Does anyone have a well-tested procedure for converting VW to Pharo/Cuis?  I posted the same question in Pharo Discord, but didn’t see a Discord or Pharo subgroup for Cuis.

Shaping