[Cuis-dev] Libpulse dependency - why does a programming language require a certain audio interface?

Vanessa Freudenberg vanessa at codefrau.net
Sat May 28 10:20:22 PDT 2022

To answer the question in your title: Smalltalk is not "just a programming
language," it's an authoring environment that happens to include a specific
programming language. But the language is secondary, it's simply part of
the user interface for the actual system, along with other tools. This does
indeed set it apart from most other systems that are purely languages.

That system runs on a virtual machine, the Open Smalltalk VM, which on your
system appears to be configured to use pulse audio by default. The VM is
plugin based and can be configured to use alsa instead. I think the command
line switch is -vm-sound-alsa but I don't have a linux machine in front of
me right now, YMMV.

Vanessa