[Cuis-dev] Libpulse dependency - why does a programming language require a certain audio interface?

tuxic at posteo.de tuxic at posteo.de
Sat May 28 10:49:56 PDT 2022

Hi Vanessa,

only for others, who may read this thread for the same reason and not
to correct you :
:)

The option to the squeak vm, Cuis (in opposite to Cuis University, which
does not show this problem) is

-vm-sound-ALSA

Therefore starting Cuis must be:

sqcogspur64linuxht/squeak -vm-sound-ALSA  Cuis-Smalltalk-Dev/Cuis6.0-5171.image

(may be the version/name of the image may be different).

I tried the same with Squeak Smalltalk.
That VM even insit on pulseaudio when called with the option "-h" for
help, print nothing but the well known dependency error and aborts.
That's not funny....

Is there any very short and understandable example (for a newbie like me), which
I can use to check, whether ALSA is in fact used and well ?
A 440 Hz sound would be enough ;)

Cheers!
Meino