[Cuis-dev] Cuis won't launch on CogSpur Arm64 MacOS when not using mixed arithmetic

Juan Vuletich juan at cuis.st
Thu Nov 3 06:19:45 PDT 2022

Hi Alan,

On 11/3/2022 4:20 AM, Alan Dao via Cuis-dev wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I've recently switched to an Arm64 Macbook. One of the first things I
> did on it was launch the latest base image of Cuis (6.0-5542). To my
> surprise, the Arm64 CogSpur VM crashes when launching the base image.
> However, the Stack VM successfully launches the base image. I looked
> at the crash.dmp and saw that the CogSpur crash was happening in
> SystemDictionary>doMixedArithmetic. In the base image, this method is
> called with a False value from SystemDictionary>doStartUp.
>
> I used the Stack VM to change the image such that
> SystemDictionary>doMixedArithmetic is called with a True value. After
> this, I was able to successfully launch the MixedArithmetic image on
> my Arm64 Macbook.

This looks like a VM bug. You can confirm this by using Squeak or Pharo,
and doing `Smalltalk doMixedArithmethic: false`. It should also crash.
Same with the Cuis image you were able to start by setting it to true.
If so, please report the bug in vm-dev:

> Does anyone know why using mixed arithmetic isn't the default? To my
> surprise, the base images for Pharo and Squeak were able to launch
> without any modifications, so I'm assuming they're by default using
> mixed arithmetic.

The explanation is in the comment at #doMixedArithmetic. Please take a
look. It is about letting the image (and not the VM) handle arguably
decisions WRT conversions between number types. If you find it cryptic
or have further questions, please ask here.

> I've attached my crash.dmp to this email for those who're curious.
>
> Best,
> Alan

I'm pretty sure you are the first to exercise this corner of the VM.
Please report in vm-dev. I'm sure they'll fix it.