[Cuis-dev] Bag>>#sum:ifEmpty:

Juan Vuletich juan at cuis.st
Thu Nov 3 07:59:26 PDT 2022

On 11/3/2022 11:21 AM, Luciano Notarfrancesco via Cuis-dev wrote:
> Yes, the idea of functional blocks could be very interesting. But the
> most straight forward idea of blocks that don’t modify state at all
> wouldn’t work, it would be more complicated than that.
> For example, the block [:x | x / 2] is a function for integers and
> fractions in the sense I was using before, e.g. evaluating it multiple
> times at 3 returns always 3/2. But it modifies object memory and
> creates new instances of 3/2 each time (they are equal but not identical).
> So I think perhaps the notion of “functional blocks” should be used
> differently in Smalltalk, not strongly as in functional languages, but
> dynamically and in terms of behavior, similarly as how we deal with
> types (for example in methods that assume their arguments implement
> certain protocols, but without enforcing types explicitly like other
> languages).

Instead of "without modifying any existing object at all" I'd have said
"without modifying any previously existing object at all". The idea is
to disable modifying older objects, but to allow creating / modifying
new objects, created during the execution of the block. That would be
pretty close to what functional languages do, that is to allow
modification only during creation.