[Cuis-dev] Making Cuis Unicode-only and VectorGraphics-only. (was Re: Alternative arrows)

Gerald Klix cuis.01 at klix.ch
Tue Oct 18 12:45:44 PDT 2022

Hi Juan,

please see below.

On 18.10.22 21:02, Juan Vuletich wrote:
> Hi Luciano,
>
> I also think it would be good to make this configurable. It is also bad
> that I hardcoded this in the plugin, making it harder to change.
>
> Still, this opens a different discussion. Something I have been thinking
> about, but hadn't talked about in the list.
>
> Now that the VectorEnginePlugin is in the official VMs, it means we can
> count on it.
In theory yes, I presume the life-typing-VM may suffer,
but IHMO that's a side issue.

While the VectorEnginePlugin is fast enough for medium size
monitors, I often experience noticeable, sometimes annoying delays,
when I use it. (I know, my bad:
Display boundingBox ->  0 at 0 corner: 4320 at 3840).
“Annoying” mean, I loose input keystrokes.
It clearly becomes better, when less text has to be displayed
and it stays bad, once I had a stack-overflow (there is at
least one memory leak caused by stack overflows, but
that's a different story).

In a nutshell: I would love to help to make vector graphics
faster!

> So, what I want to do is to make the "Use Unicode"
> preference the default and only behavior, and actually remove support
> for ISO 8859 files (and StrikeFonts, and a lot of the older stuff). And
> if everything is Unicode, then there's no need to have these special
> glyphs for $_ and $^. We could use instead a real Unicode left arrow for
> assignment, and just remove support for $_ for assignment. (Using :=
> would still be possible). All this "Smalltalk-80 glyphs" kludge would go
> away.
That would be cool!

> What do you think?
>
> If we decide to go in this direction, it may make sense to temporarily
> disable the "Smalltalk-80 glyphs", at least if you want to use the
> Unicode arrows for something else.
Does that mean, I will see underscores in this phase?
Hopefully not.
I confess, I did not know, that there is another assignment operator
than “:=” before I used Cuis :»

> Opinions?
I will test VectorGrahics tomorrow, with a clean image
and try to do some measurements. Until then I am undecided.