[Cuis-dev] [QUESTION] UTF-8 Editors and Packages

Gerald Klix cuis.01 at klix.ch
Tue Oct 18 12:54:45 PDT 2022

On 18.10.22 21:04, Juan Vuletich wrote:
> On 10/13/2022 3:22 PM, Gerald Klix via Cuis-dev wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Once I have UTF8 editors enabled, packages are saved in UTF8 format.
>> Which leads to problems during installation, if UTF8 editors are not
>> enabled and the packages contain UTF8 characters.
>>
>> How can I force packages to be saved in Latin 15?
>>

>> Best Regards,
>>
>> Gerald
>
> Hi Gerald,
>
> Unfortunately  no. The reason is that once we enable Unicode for source
> code, we can not guarantee that Latin 15 will be enough. If you need to
> save non-ascii characters in Latin 15,  I suggest not enabling Unicode
> editors. Note that you can still use TrueType and Vector Graphics, though.
>
> Hope this helps.

In the long run, it probably does not make
much sense to fix this.

Looking at Python's encoding stuff I conclude:
- It' s a lot of work.
- It does not work properly, once you
   encounter a character that can't be encoded
   in the encoding chosen.
- This behavior in turn, causes constant
   effort spent for explaining the encoders
   to newbies.

BTW, the problem I had, was easy to fix.

Thanks,

Gerald