[Cuis-dev] [DEFECT] Debugger leaves terminated processes

Juan Vuletich juan at cuis.st
Fri Oct 21 03:21:05 PDT 2022

On 10/21/2022 6:48 AM, Gerald Klix via Cuis-dev wrote:

>> I just tried on a fresh Cuis.
>> 1) Evaluated your killer 10M
>> 2) waited for it to finish
>> 3) closed the debugger.
>> 4) 2 terminated processes.
>> 5) Smalltalk garbageCollect
>
> Does this mean, we should explicitly trigger the GC,
> after a Debugger window was closed/deleted/dismissed?
>> 6) no terminated processes.
>>
>> Looks ok to me.
> Hm?! See my question above.
>

> Best Regards,
>
> Gerald

Runtimes that do garbage collection (not just Smalltalk, also Java,
JavaScript, DotNet, etc) will run GC when they detect some condition
that triggers it. At least in Smalltalk you can ask for GC when desired.
Not sure about the others.

The behavior of these systems is well documented elsewhere. There's
plenty of literature out there.

HTH,