[Cuis-dev] New handling of assignment and return arrows

Juan Vuletich juan at cuis.st
Fri Oct 21 07:35:15 PDT 2022

Hi Folks,

I just pushed some updates to the mechanics of how we show arrows for
assignment and return.

Instead of hijacking the ASCII for _ and ^ I used Shout (the syntax
highlight engine) to replace them by an arbitrary glyph. This gets
changed back when contents are saved or evaluated. So, files don't
change at all, at least not today. This step also let me clean up some
code. If in the future we choose to use Unicode for them, even in files
(something I'm still unsure about pros and cons), part of the work is
already done.

If you want to play with these, select 'Use Unicode in Text Editors' and
edit #arrowStringForAssignment and #arrowStringForReturn at will.