[Cuis-dev] FW: [DEFECT] Debugger leaves terminated processes

Jaromir Matas mail at jaromir.net
Sat Oct 22 01:07:49 PDT 2022

From: Gerald Klix<mailto:cuis.01 at klix.ch>
Sent: Thursday, October 20, 2022 18:20
To: cuis-dev at lists.cuis.st<mailto:cuis-dev at lists.cuis.st>; Juan Vuletich<mailto:juan at cuis.st>
Cc: Jaromir Matas<mailto:mail at jaromir.net>
Subject: [DEFECT] Debugger leaves terminated processes

Hi all, Hi Juan,

I think I found the cause of my huge images:
The Debugger (or process termination)
leaves terminated processes hanging around.

First I saved the image before running the
killer-Block (see the attached killit.st):

-- snip --
beforeLargeStack.image
-rw-rw-r-- 1 bear bear 27M Okt 20 17:50 Haver6.0-5496-beforeLargeStack.image
-- snap --

Than I ran killit and simply closed the debugger window
and saved the image:

-- snip --
-rw-rw-r-- 1 bear bear 1.9G Okt 20 17:51 Haver6.0-5496-afterLargeStack.image
-- snap --

 From 27 megabytes to 1.9 gigabytes in 20 seconds,
that's quite a feature, albeit a bad one.

When I print all existing processes -- see diagnoseKillit.st -- I
could see there are a lot of terminated processes hanging around.

I did `self break` and closed the debugger: More terminated processes.
Bad enough: `Smalltalk garbageCollect` does not help.

The first part of RunningProcesses.txt is the transcript
output after running the killer-block.
(There are already some terminated processes, because I used
image to implement the fixes, I just posted).
The second part is transcript output after one `self break`;
I didn't check exactly, but there are more terminated processes.

Best Regards,

Gerald