[Cuis-dev] Big News! Cuis is now Unicode and Vector Graphics

Juan Vuletich juan at cuis.st
Mon Oct 31 08:37:36 PDT 2022

Hi Mariano,

Thanks for the samples and the details on your screen. Now I can tell
what you see.

Other Text Rasterization Engines, such as FreeType, CoreText and
ClearType do auto-hinting of glyphs. This aligns glyph features to
integer pixel coordinates at the expense of correct geometry.
VectorEnginePlugin doesn't. It rasterizes glyphs just like any other
vector graphics, respecting the true geometry of glyphs.

This is only noticeable in horizontal lines, when they want to cover
half a pixel or so.

If you disable glyph caching, or (even slightly) zoom windows, then not
even the position of glyphs is aligned to integer pixels, giving a more
correct layout of text, making each instance of the same character be
drawn differently. You can see this if you capture a screen and zoom the
pixels to make them larger.

This is a rather fundamental decision on how VectorEngine works. It
doesn't "draw pixels", but applies a low pass filter and then samples a
continuous shape.

The older StrikeFonts were rendered with FreeType, and then captured as
Bitmaps.

Thanks,