[Cuis-dev] FFI changed?

Juan Vuletich juan at cuis.st
Thu Apr 20 04:35:41 PDT 2023

Hi Stephen,

On 4/19/2023 9:17 PM, Stephen Travis Pope via Cuis-dev wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I’m porting Siren back from Squeak to Cuis, hoping to be able to use
> the vector graphics extensively.

That is great news! I believe that VG can simplify the UI and improve
the looks and experience for any kind of apps, like it does for DrGeo.

> One issue that has come up is that the FFI interface to the PortMIDI
> library that worked a few months ago stopped working.
>
> Has something changed in the VM FFI interface?

In November 2022, I integrated UnicodeString. Since them, anywhere you
may expect an instance of String, you may instead get an instance of
UnicodeString. This hasn't brought much trouble, as they are
polymorphic. But a few tweaks here and there were needed. Last commit to
FFI.pck.st is from Jan 6 and it was specifically for this.

On my Intel Mac, using an updated Cuis, and loading `Feature require:
'Tests-FFI'`, all the FFI test pass. Do they pass on your Apple Silicon Mac?

> Can we still load dylibs (rather than only bundles) on Macs?

I believe we can. Not too long ago, before Apple dropped support for
OpenCL, I used it extensively, and I believe it was a dylib. Nowadays,
I'm not using FFI much.

Can you help me reproduce what you are doing on my Mac? I'd like to see
it running on a Cuis from the date it did work from you, and also
reproduce your updated setup to see the failure.

Do you get a debugger? Error messages? Something on the Transcript or
StdIO (in Terminal)?

If I can reproduce your setup and the problems you see, I'm sure we'll
fix them.