[Cuis-dev] Why not to save the image?

Vanessa Freudenberg vanessa at codefrau.net
Wed Aug 2 19:48:31 PDT 2023

It's a question of HOW you are using Smalltalk:

* if you are primarily using it as a Personal Computing Environment, then
saving the image is the way to go. I've used my main Squeak image for many
many years, including regularly fetching system updates (and having backups
of that image in case I need to backtrack out of too-hard-to-fix
situations).
* if you are primarily using it to write source code to share with others,
starting from a fresh image regularly is a fine choice.

I personally used my heavily customized image even for collaborating with
others. Monticello makes that reasonable (I had a good amount of
"*codefrau-override" methods in my system which let me keep modified
methods even while being able to publish updates to these "dirty"
packages). That does require keeping in mind those differences though.
Working in a clean image certainly has less room for accidentally
publishing stuff that shouldn't be published.

Vanessa