[Cuis-dev] Code duplication around unwinding

Jaromir Matas mail at jaromir.net
Thu Feb 2 08:38:24 PST 2023

Hi Juan,

I'm enclosing a changeset for your review. I've just sent a similar suggestion to Squeak list hoping to get some feedback.

The aim is to reduce the code duplication in ContextPart>>#restart, #resume:through:, #resumeEvaluating: methods that are implementing the same unwind mechanism we already have in unwindTo:. I've always wondered why the same algorithm is duplicated so many times (it used to be in terminate too!) but never really found out.

At the same time this code duplication was introduced in Squeak 3.6, the unwind mechanism was moved from the Exception class to ContextPart and, but this is just my hypothesis, never cleaned up properly.

I'd be very thankful for your thoughts and your opinion about the enclosed changeset.

Many thanks,

Jaromir

--

Jaromír Matas