[Cuis-dev] Some un-accurate information on The Cuis Book

Hernán Wilkinson hernan.wilkinson at 10pines.com
Sun Feb 26 13:00:16 PST 2023

It is fine for me to use private but I would put a footnote with the
protected explanation, nothing complex.
About all the other things you say, I completely agree with you
About an appendix, I would love to, but I do not really have the time now,
I’ll put it in my never ending to do list 🙂

On Sun, 26 Feb 2023 at 10:31 <ken.dickey at whidbey.com> wrote:

> On 2023-02-25 12:54, Hernán Wilkinson via Cuis-dev wrote:
> ..
> > About the scope of inst vars, they are protected in the c++/java/c#
> > parlance... I think the word protected should be use and reference the
> > other languages
>
> This is a good observation, but I think it is simpler to assume common
> language use for "private".
>
> In a "stand-alone" introduction, we could introduce a chapter describing
> differences between programming languages and the world views they
> present, but I think this is best left to contexts where multiple
> languages are used (see comment below).
>
> I went to high school before we had calculators or computers and I like
> to use programming languages which do something close to what I think of
> as "high school math"
>
> In Smalltalk:
>
>    (1/2) + (1/3) + (1/6).  "-->  1 "
>
>    (100 factorial) / (99 factorial). "--> 100 "
>
>    Feature require: #Complex.
>    -4 sqrt squared. "--> -4 + 0 i "
>
> Pointing to C++/Java/C#, one has to take time and energy to explain how
> broken their math is and how to work around the breakage.
>
> I think it much better to show how to extend the math support in
> Smalltalk by adding complex numbers than it is to explain why/how
> implementing and using numbers in C++/Java/C# is so broken.
>
> BTW, we can do better.  I think -4+0i above should be and print as -4.
> I am willing to take a look at this.
>
> Again, the great thing here is the ability to "make it better", which is
> really, really hard in C++/Java/C#.
>
> These days, I am sure many students come from a context where they
> already know multiple programming languages.  Hernán, would you be
> willing to write an appendix chapter comparing Smalltalk to other
> programming languages which students are probably familiar?  Perhaps
> more questions and hints?
>
> $0.02,
> -KenD

*Phone: +54-011*-4893-2057