[Cuis-dev] Off Topic -- AI Programming NOT

ken.dickey at whidbey.com ken.dickey at whidbey.com
Sun Jun 18 06:44:18 PDT 2023

Interesting observation from the article

https://developers.slashdot.org/story/23/06/17/1934235/is-ai-an-excuse-for-not-learning-to-code

"It doesn't work."

I would love to have an assistant who keeps me in check, alerting me to
pitfalls and correcting me when I err. A effective pair-programmer. But
that is not what I get. Instead, I have the equivalent of a cocky
graduate student, smart and widely read, also polite and quick to
apologize, but thoroughly, invariably, sloppy and unreliable. I have
little use for such supposed help...

Fascinating as they are, AI assistants are not works of logic; they are
works of words. Large language models: smooth talkers (like the ones who
got all the dates in high school). They have become incredibly good at
producing text that looks right. For many applications that is enough.
Not for programming.

Caveat Programmer,
-KenD