[Cuis-dev] Assignment and return in The Cuis Book

Juan Vuletich juan at cuis.st
Wed Mar 1 11:48:38 PST 2023

Hi Hilaire, Folks,

Right now, in the HTM version of the Cuis Book, we are using '^' and
':=' for return and assignment. But in the PDF version, we are using '↑'
and '←'.

I think this is an unnecessary complication. Also, pasting code from the
PDF version is currently broken.

I think it is best to use only the ANSI return and assignment ('^' and
':=') in all versions the Cuis Book, even if we still display $^ as an
up arrow when it is a Smalltalk return, and allow $_ for assignment,
displaying it as a left arrow when used for Smalltalk assignment.

Thoughts? Opinions? Hilaire, do you think this is a good idea?

Thanks!