[Cuis-dev] Does anyone know of a Redis client in Cuis?

Rafi Khan rafi at rafikhan.io
Wed Mar 1 16:33:42 PST 2023

Hi,

Note: apologies, reposting this as I had originally replied only to
Todd rather than the list.

On Tue, Feb 28, 2023 at 11:25 PM Todd Blanchard <tblanchard at mac.com> wrote:

> Not for Cuis, sorry, but that client is really old and a bit out of date.  I did it in Pharo.
>
> I started with that and then added support for RESP3 serialization, some of the extensions, and used it to implement a suite of shared collections along with PubSub notifications.

Thank you for sharing, I skimmed your implementation briefly. It
should help me out a lot!

Also, thanks for sharing the note about RESP3, somehow I missed that
there was a new protocol.

> I haven't had time to finish out the other extensions like TimeSeries as other things have dragged me away but I intend to get back to it at some point.

For the moment, I was thinking of just implementing some of the basic
functions, maybe even just the inlined syntax.

> I hope it helps you out.  Feel free to ask questions about it.  I love Redis and having essentially shared memory among a fleet of processes seems like a cool thing to have.

Thank you. I definitely agree about the shared memory/fleet. With a
good enough high level library and some integration with the Smalltalk
programming paradigm, this could be a decent minimal attempt at
persisting objects without a full-blown object database.

Sometime after getting my application working with Redis, I will also
look further into the feasibility of a minimal object database. But
for now, one step at a time... I want to write minimal, easy building
blocks... more complex endeavours have led to abandonware in my past
side projects.

Best,
Rafi