[Cuis-dev] Managing Cuis on Normal & "Retina" displays

Ignacio Sniechowski 0800nacho at gmail.com
Wed Mar 1 16:46:25 PST 2023

Hi Juan!
*Checked:* In both cases, Display extent evaluates to 0 at 0.

I think that as they are using SDL2 it is possible to get de real
resolution:
https://wiki.libsdl.org/SDL2/SDL_DisplayMode

What is curious is that using Pharo's 8 VM Cuis behaves similarly to Pharo:
moving the Cuis windows from the internal screen to the external preserves
sizes.

I will continue to research this.
Cheers

*Ignacio Sniechowski*

On Wed, Mar 1, 2023 at 9:28 PM Juan Vuletich <juan at cuis.st> wrote:

> [...]
>    | event session |
>     event := SDL_Event new.
>     session := Smalltalk session.
>
>     [ session == Smalltalk session]
>     whileTrue: [
>     [ (SDL2 pollEvent: event) > 0 ]
>     whileTrue: [ self processEvent: event ].
>
>     (Delay forMilliseconds: 5) wait ]
>

> And also there's a class OSSDL2BackendWindows with a method
> fetchDPI
> That seems to adjust the scale factor. So evidence seems to point that
> they are using fake resolution.
> I will check with Squeak
> *Ignacio Sniechowski*

> On Wed, Mar 1, 2023 at 9:48 AM Juan Vuletich <juan at cuis.st> wrote:
>
>> Hi Nacho,
>>
>> This is a great opportunity for you to help Cuis!
>>
>> - Is Pharo aware of the true pixel resolution both in Retina and External
>> displays?
>> - Is Pharo aware of the true pixel pitch both in Retina and External
>> displays?
>>
>> Answering these questions may take a little time of researching the
>> system. Would you do it for us?
>>
>> If the answer to both is YES, then we really need to learn how they do it
>> and try to do the same in Cuis.
>>
>> If the answer is NO, maybe they are running at fake pixel resolution and
>> fake pixel pitch. Then, using the Mac zoom you could check that a Pharo
>> pixel doesn't correspond to a physical display pixel. If this is the case,
>> then the solution is not interesting, because running at true pixel
>> resolution is crucial to good visual quality.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> On 3/1/2023 8:20 AM, Ignacio Sniechowski via Cuis-dev wrote:
>>
>> Hi Juan!
>> Thanks for your prompt reply
>> Yes, I mean Pharo. Didn't try Squeak. At least using Pharo 10 on a mac
>> and moving the window from the internal screen to the external monitor
>> adapts automatically...
>> Cheers!
>>

>> *Ignacio Sniechowski*
>>
>> On Wed, Mar 1, 2023 at 8:15 AM Juan Vuletich <juan at cuis.st> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Nacho,
>>>
>>> The VM doesn't tell the image about pixel pitch. It would be nice if
>>> Cuis could automatically adapt to it.
>>>
>>> When you say "as other open-source Smalltalk do", do you mean that
>>> Squeak or Pharo know the actual pixel pitch?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> On 3/1/2023 7:57 AM, Ignacio Sniechowski via Cuis-dev wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi!
>>> Hope everyone is okay.
>>> This is a question for those who have displays (or notebooks) with
>>> "retina" like displays.
>>> How do you manage the size of the GUI elements and fonts?
>>> If I set Cuis to work correctly on an external, full HD monitor, then
>>> when using the internal display of my mac, everything is enormous, and
>>> vice-versa.
>>> It is a VM-related issue or some configuration that I have to do on Cuis.
>>> But either the VM or Cuis is unaware (as other open-source Smalltalk do)
>>> Cheers