[Cuis-dev] How to stop exception triggering code in its tracks?

Juan Vuletich juan at cuis.st
Mon Mar 13 13:20:41 PDT 2023

On 3/13/2023 1:23 PM, Alexandre Rousseau via Cuis-dev wrote:
> I accidentally introduced a bug in my class instance initialization
> code (adding a submorph to itself). When instantiating my class, the
> debugger appeared but seemed impossible to interact with while the
> task bar rapidly filled up with more such debugger representations.
>
> Unable to deal with this, I killed my cuis environment, losing 30
> minutes of work.
>
> What do you do when faced with runaway exceptions? Is there some
> keyboard action once can perform to stop the execution of it?

It depends on where the exception is raised. If it is in #drawOn:, we
already have a recovery mechanism. In some other cases, cmd-. (the
interrupt key) let's you recover control. But the whole system is
implemented in Smalltalk. There will always be ways to break code in a
way that you can't get to a working UI again. As rabbit already said,
that's why there are several files where your code is logged, so you can
recover it.

HTH,