[Cuis-dev] Cuis' Unicode Support is great

Gerald Klix cuis.01 at klix.ch
Sun Mar 26 03:49:30 PDT 2023

On 3/26/23 12:54 AM, Bernardo Ezequiel Contreras via Cuis-dev wrote:
> i like the notation of
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Wijngaarden_grammar
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Wijngaarden_grammar#ALGOL_68_as_in_the_1968_Final_Report_%C2%A72.1

I am bit biased against this type of grammar.
It tries to specify semantics by generating an infinite number
of rules to parse a program.

Admittedly I was strongly influenced against it
by this guy: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friedrich_L._Bauer

He read Computer Science 101 ("Einführung in die Informatik" in German)
and sometimes ranted about the unreadable specification of Algol68.
He was member off the committee for both languages Algol60 and Algol68.

Most important, this tiny programming language is just a POC
that will (hopefully) help me to find a readable interface
to a grammar for German which uses Metacom Symbols
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Augmentative_and_alternative_communication#/media/File:Gotalk.jpg)
as tokens. (see:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Augmentative_and_alternative_communication#Symbols).

The problems with this type of communication are:

1. German has a rather free word order.
2. Roles in a German sentence are normally determined by case markers.
3. Those aforementioned symbols do not have case markers.

Ergo: The sentences, I have to deal with, are even more ambiguous
than standard German. Therefore I use an Earley parser.

And I can not assume that the users – speech therapists –
are experts in grammar formalisms. Therefore it has to be
as simple as possible. I want to use either GPSG or HPSG
as a grammar formalism, in a way that can be understood by mere mortals.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generalized_phrase_structure_grammar
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Head-driven_phrase_structure_grammar

Thanks for your patience,

Gerald