[Cuis-dev] Morph redrawNeeded

Juan Vuletich juan at cuis.st
Wed May 3 11:02:31 PDT 2023

Hi Jon,

On 5/3/2023 11:48 AM, Jon Hylands via Cuis-dev wrote:
> Hi Juan,
>
> I think you missed the point I was trying to make. The drawing code is
> very fast - it would run at 70+ fps if I was calling the draw code
> directly as fast as it can go.
>
> The issue is the delay between sending #redrawNeeded and the system
> sending #drawOn:. On my desktop, that delay is around 50ms. On the
> rpi4, that delay is around 250-300ms. It doesn't matter how fast the
> draw code is if the fastest you can call the drawOn: is 3-4 times per
> second.
>
> I don't know if there is something in my image that is messed up, but
> I don't think so - the image on the rpi was a virgin image that I
> loaded my package into (plus all the dependent packages that get
> loaded automatically).
>
> There are no extra processes running in the background.
>
> - Jon

I see. The easy test we can all do is to just run a class browser. I
believe scroll will be fast on your Raspi, and fps will be adequate
(tens per second, I guess). So, there must be something different here,
and the only way I can find out is by seeing the same on my Raspi or PC.

An alternative is to share your code, or a prebuilt image. Another
alternative could be if you can prepare a Workspace example that shows
this slowdown.

If I can reproduce it on my machine, I will be able to understand what's
going on, and hopefully improve it.

Thanks!