[Cuis-dev] Proposed changes to the Push up / Push down refactors

Hernán Wilkinson hernan.wilkinson at 10pines.com
Wed May 24 07:08:57 PDT 2023

Hi Ruben!
 that is great!!! but we have to synchronize this changes because I have a
student doing his thesis working on similar improvements!!
 I'll check your changes (this one and the other one you sent) and merge
them with the ones he is doing.
 If you have new ideas, before implementing them let me know to see if they
collide with what Mariano (the student) is doing.

Chees!
Hernan.

On Tue, May 23, 2023 at 10:15 PM Ruben Bohorquez via Cuis-dev <
cuis-dev at lists.cuis.st> wrote:

> Hello everyone! One thing that I've been having to do a lot recently is
> create a new hierarchy of subclasses with an abstract superclass, and thus
> having to push down a method to all subclasses *while keeping the method
> in the superclass*, usually implemented as subclassResponsibility.
> I've found the existing "push down" refactor to be lacking in that sense,
> since it always deletes the original method (and "push up" does tattoo,
> although it hasn't been that annoying to me just yet).
> So I modified both push methods to prompt a pop up asking the user what
> they want to do with the original method. The options are delete it, keep
> it as it is, or replace it with "self subclassResponsibility" or "super
> methodSelector" for push down / up respectively. I've tested it a bit and
> it works like a charm.
> Bear in mind that I'm fairly new to Smalltalk, so there may be some
> aspects of the code that can be improved upon. Especially style / good
> practices things, like some collaborator names that just don't sit right
> with me.
> Have a nice night everyone!

*Phone: +54-011*-4893-2057
*Twitter: @HernanWilkinson*