[Cuis-dev] added push down to single subclass refactor option

Hernán Wilkinson hernan.wilkinson at 10pines.com
Wed May 24 14:23:22 PDT 2023

Hi Paolo,
 thanks for this change set, it is a useful one and you did a great job for
a new smalltalker!!
 There are some changes to be done before merging it.
1) The refactoring implementation, PushDownToMethod in your case, should
not interact with the user, therefore it should not ask to witch subclass
move the method to, it should not do: StringRequestMorph request: ....
 The refactoring class should receive in its instance creation message all
the necessary objects to do its job, in this case it should receive the
subclass to pushdown the method to.
2) It should be the applier the one asking for the subclass to push down
the method to
3) There are no tests for the refactoring and we want all refactoring to be
tested. Please write the corresponding tests that should be part of the
package BaseImageTests.pck.st  This package is not automatically loaded in
Cuis, you have to load it yourself (unless you are using CuisUniversity who
has the tests loaded).
PushDownToMethod should receive the class from which to push down the
method, the method to push down and the subclass to push down the method
to. There you have many things to test, like is the method implemented in
the class from where to push it down? Is the subclass really a subclass of
the class that implements the method? And then you have all the assertions
of the pushdown method refactoring. Look at PushDownMethod class>>#for:

BTW, PushDownToMethod is not a good name for this refactoring. I would call
it PushDownMethoToSubclass.

Let me know if you have questions.
I'll wait for all these changes to integrate it!

Cheers
Hernan

PS: BTW, it is Smalltalk (lowercase t) not SmallTalk ... just a minor thing
to have in mind :-)

On Tue, May 23, 2023 at 6:02 AM Christian Haider via Cuis-dev <
cuis-dev at lists.cuis.st> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> this is not a refactoring, since it changes the behavior of the system.
> See Code refactoring - Wikipedia
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Code_refactoring> .
>
> Everything is fine when you call it a code transformation. But, please,
> don’t shift the meaning of “refactoring”.
>

> Happy hacking and have fun with Smalltalk,
>
> Christian

*Phone: +54-011*-4893-2057
*Twitter: @HernanWilkinson*