[Cuis-dev] Rerendering when touched: Experiments in simplifying UI development in Cuis inspired by Mithril.js

Mariano Montone marianomontone at gmail.com
Mon May 29 14:34:40 PDT 2023

Hi Paul,

      I'm late to this, hope you read this message.

I've tried a couple of GUI experiments, one that does Immediate Mode,
and another that does Reactive updates.

Here are my IMGUI experiments:
https://bitbucket.org/mmontone/mold/src/master/IMGUI.pck.st.
Instead of rebuilding morphs like in yours, there's no Morph tree
maitained (that's why it is not a persistent GUI, and it is immediate).
Everything happens in the drawOn: method, logic, rendering, rendering of
subcomponents, etc.
I would qualify them as half-failed and a bit excessive, because I was
trying to do some extremely difficult thing (for me, at least) with GUI,
some structuring editing, and wanted to have a very dynamic funcional
oriented gui (view = f (model)).
Unlike normal Immediate GUI frameworks, it doesn't redraw on every
frame, but only when an event occurs.

My other experiment is a reactive GUI:
https://bitbucket.org/mmontone/mold/src/master/ReactiveMorphs.pck.st.
Like your approach it rebuilds the morphs automatically, but there's
some plugging involved, as it doesn't every submorph blindly, it
rebuilds the affected parts of the gui based on what reactive variables
changed.

The comparison in Javascript world would be SolidJs library, I believe.

This is an example of a TODO list, with add, remove and conditional
updates to the UI:

todoListExample

     | todos todoList todosMorph textInput |

     todos :=​ RxCollection new.

     todosMorph :=​ LayoutMorph newColumn.

     todoList :=​ todos
         ifEmpty: [LabelMorph contents: 'Nothing TODO. Add below.']
         ifNotEmpty: [todos doCol: [:todo |            |todoItem|
             todoItem :=​ LayoutMorph newRow.
             todoItem addMorph: (    LabelMorph contents: todo).
             todoItem addMorph: (PluggableButtonMorph model:[todos
remove: todo]
                                                 action: #value label: 'x').
             todoItem]].
     todoList color: Color lightBlue.
     todosMorph addMorph: todoList.

     textInput :=​ TextModelMorph withText: ''.
     textInput morphHeight: 30.
     todosMorph addMorph: textInput.

     todosMorph addMorph: (PluggableButtonMorph
                             model: [todos add: textInput text asString]
                             action: #value
                             label: 'Add todo').
     todosMorph openInWorld.

I attach a gif with a demo of the resulting Morph.

Note that the interface is completely specified in that method (there
are no hidden parts) and is completely declarative, there are no manual
morph manipulations after its construction. When the reactive variables
change, the GUI is updates automatically.
I would call it ingenious, but less excessive than the IMGUI approach,
and I think viable as an alternative Morph layer with enough effort.

Cheers,

Mariano