[Cuis-dev] >> notation

Martin McClure martin at hand2mouse.com
Thu Aug 1 11:24:07 PDT 2024

Hi Mark,

You and Hernán are both correct. Foo>>bar or Foo class >> bar /is/ just
notation seen in documentation, and Foo >> #bar /is/ (in some Smalltalk
dialects) a valid message send.

I'm not sure where the notation originated -- it seemed to just be there
wherever people needed to discuss Smalltalk in plain text. I'm pretty
sure it was firmly established by the mid-80s when I started using
Smalltalk.

I long thought that "class >> selector" was a contraction of "class >
protocol > selector" (protocol was the term used for method category in
the original Smalltalk-80 browsers). But that may be just my imagination.

For many years there were no methods for the selector #'>>', but
eventually some dialects added a method for it, as Hernán indicated.

Regards,
-Martin