[Cuis-dev] Space is low

Juan Vuletich juan at cuis.st
Mon Aug 12 06:38:14 PDT 2024

Hi Gerald,

On 8/12/2024 9:40 AM, Gerald Klix via Cuis-dev wrote:
> Hi Juan,
>
> I tested the this issue with FreeBSD on the same
> (development) machine and with Devuan Daedalus
> on another machine.
> My development machine runs Devuan Chimaera.
>
> It works perfectly on the other machine.
> With FreeBSD 14 the same error occurs.
> The VM for FreeBSD is essentialy the Linux VM,
> I only disabled the frame-buffer interface.
> FreeBSD has the newest X-Server version.

Thanks for the update.

> I presume this is related to a buggy X11 implementation
> or some X11 protocoll corner case the VM does not handle
> correctly. Since I can not provide instructions to reproduce
> this issue – after all it works with Xephyr – I suggest
> I'll watch this issue and when I'll find some means to reproduce it
> I'll file an error.

Sounds reasonable.

> HTH,
>
> Gerald
>
> PS: Just before sending this e-mail,
> I tried the same stunt with the Squeak 6 version at
> hand. It works.

Well, there are perhaps two differences between Squeak and Cuis that are
relevant: One is that the code that checks for changes in the Screen
size, and recreates Display as needed is completely different, possibly
resulting in a different call pattern to platform primitives and Display
memory allocation. The other difference is that by default, VectorCanvas
uses additional buffers of Display extent, so memory stress is larger.
Cuis can still go back to BitBltCanvas, but you lose the VectorGraphics
stuff, going back to a more basic UI api.