[Cuis-dev] Unicode in morphs

Juan Vuletich juan at cuis.st
Thu Aug 15 06:26:48 PDT 2024

On 8/14/2024 10:17 PM, Mark Volkmann via Cuis-dev wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 14, 2024 at 9:39 AM <ken.dickey at whidbey.com
> <mailto:ken.dickey at whidbey.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 2024-08-13 17:16, Mark Volkmann via Cuis-dev wrote:
>
>     > Should I be able to use Unicode characters in morphs like this?
>     >
>     > (LabelMorph contents: '🗑') openInHand.
>     >
>     > When I paste the trash can Unicode character into a Workspace, it
>     > appears as a rectangle.
>     > I believe that means it doesn't recognize the character.
>     > It also renders as a rectangle instead of the trash can character.
>
>     The default font lacks many glyphs -- e.g. for Chinese and apparently
>     for trash cans.
>
>     Try importing and setting a TrueType Font which has this glyph.
>

> Thanks! I found that the "Kurinto Sans" font contains the wastebasket
> Unicode character and I installed it.
> The attached screenshot shows an example.
>
> I want to use that font in a PluggableButtonMorph.
> But here is the font: method in that class:
>
> font: someFont
>     PopUpMenu inform: 'You can''t set this'
>
> Yikes! I wonder why we're not allowed to set the font for that kind of
> morph.
>
> --
> R. Mark Volkmann
> Object Computing, Inc.

You can. World / New morph... / From Alphabetical List /
PluggableButtonMorph. Now open a halo on one of the inner
PluggableButtonMorphs. Open an inspector. In the evaluation pane, evaluate:

self roundButtonStyle: false.
(FontFamily promptUser:  self fontToUse familyName) ifNotNil: [
:fontFamily |
     self label:  '🗑' font:  (fontFamily atPointSize:  self fontToUse
pointSize) ].

and select 'Kurinto Sans'.

Works nicely.

HTH,