[Cuis-dev] learned something interesting about installing packages

Mark Volkmann r.mark.volkmann at gmail.com
Sun Aug 18 16:51:44 PDT 2024

On Sun, Aug 18, 2024 at 3:44 PM <ken.dickey at whidbey.com> wrote:

> On 2024-08-18 12:31, Mark Volkmann via Cuis-dev wrote:
>
> > If a package is installed that defines subclasses of classes that are
> > defined in packages that have not been installed yet, their superclass
> > will be changed to ProtoObject. No warning message about this will be
> > displayed.
> >
> > For example, suppose the UI-Entry package is not installed.
> > That defines the class TextEntryMorph.
> > If I install a package that defines the following class
> >
> > TextEntryMorph subclass: #CenteredTextEntryMorph
> >
> > that will be changed to
> >
> > ProtoObject subclass: #CenteredTextEntryMorph --
>
> As opposed to creating an error..
>
> Good to see you are testing packages before releasing them on an
> unsuspecting world. ;^)
>
> When you see this, it is a reminder to have your shiny new package
> _require_ the requisite packages.

The only way I discovered that the superclass had been changed to
ProtoObject is that I ran the app and got a MessageNotUnderstood debug
window. The message was for a method that was supposed to be in the
superclass and I tried to find out why it wasn't found. It seems to me it
would be better to get an error when the package is being installed that
its requirements (superclasses existing) are not met.

--
R. Mark Volkmann
Object Computing, Inc.